Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Tuesday 26 January 2021

Differences

Tuesday, January 26th., Waterloo Road, Burslem.

I woke before dawn this morning and could immediately tell that there was something afoot by the quality of the light from outside. Peering through the curtains I saw at once that it had snowed heavily. I wasn't surprised. Several people told me yesterday that "we were due for some snow". Some people seem to have a sort of sixth sense for that sort of thing. Dawson is one of them. Anyway, Waterloo Road was transformed and I was itching to get out to see familiar places made unfamiliar.

By the time I had breakfasted and found my father's old snow shoes most of the road was tramped down by people going to work so I cut across towards Middleport, heading for the canal, the way I used to go to school in Newcastle. The canal was hard frozen. A few daring boys were sliding on it. I felt quite nostalgic, not that I was ever daring, but still. The valley was almost tranquil and the skyline towards Porthill was nearly picturesque. Definitely worth getting out for! Of course it has thawed during the day and is now mostly dirty slush. I haven't been down to Burslem which will be a right mess I should think.

Yesterday I was up at Sneyd Green visiting Callear. He wanted to show me a telescope he is making. It is impressive! Says it has taken him three weeks so far, and probably as long again before it is finished. Beautiful 3 inch mirror, which he has ground himself, not secured into the body of the instrument yet. And he is presently working on the angled mirror which diverts the light into the viewing lens. Apparently Newton invented the reflecting telescope. I didn't know that. I am envious of people who can do things with their hands, apart from writing that is. It also helps that his family is comfortably off, and he has use of a workshop. He reckons that he will be able to see craters on the moon and possibly the rings of Saturn, and I think he said the moons of Jupiter. I kept nodding knowingly, but my knowledge of outer space is abysmal. I suppose he knows that but we collude not to draw attention to it. He has no interest in books. As my mother frequently says: "We are all different".

 

No comments:

Post a Comment