Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Tuesday 12 March 2019

A lamenting woman

Tuesday, March 12th., Chiltern Court, London.

A woman, an experienced and abandoned reader, lamented to me the other day that the domestic novel was disappearing. I could not agree. At any rate I, who do indeed glance at novels now and then in my spare time, have observed no sign of it. The great majority of novels have been and will be chiefly domestic in matter. Of course I am well aware what the lamenting lady meant. She meant that the old-fashioned domestic novel was disappearing. Naturally it is. The old-fashioned everything is disappearing and has been disappearing steadily for thousands of years. I expect to disappear myself at some time in the future.

The Melody | The Saturday PaperAnd the most recent novel of Jim Crace, "The Melody", is domestic in nature though perhaps it would not be recognised as such by my recent interlocutor. There is not much to it. A formerly famous singer (Alfred Busi), widower, declining, living in a large old house where he was born and has lived all his life, is attacked (twice). He is further demoralised by the experience but is recued from collapse by the intervention of a young woman neighbour and a man who proves to be the narrator, though we never discover his identity. That is it in a nutshell. The novel has a dreamlike quality, is sometimes tongue-in-cheek, and I began to wonder if the whole thing was a nicely crafted joke. I enjoyed the book, but was not satisfied by it. Further reflection has led me to think it is an allegory of sorts but this may be me as reader grappling for an intent which the writer did not have. In any case I was able to persuade myself that this was a commentary on the decline of the West (Europe in particular), its failure to recognise the reasonable aspirations of those living precariously elsewhere, its suppression of the natural world, and its smug self-importance characterised by cultural 'superiority'. Crace writes well, as ever, and I particularly appreciated his delicate handling of Alfred's sexual uncertainties; in fact the novel is good as a general critique of ageing. Certainly worth reading.

At bedtime I am re-reading "The Count of Monte Cristo", in an English translation by Robin Buss. A very good translation of the complete novel. Buss introduces some modern idioms but only where these are useful substitutes for archaisms, not for their own sake. The story swings along at a fine pace - just the thing for night-time reading. Dantes has just escaped from his 14 year imprisonment and I am looking forward to rejoining his adventure later.

No comments:

Post a Comment