Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Saturday 23 March 2019

Goings on

Tuesday, March 23rd., Yacht Club, London.

We brought Knoblock to town yesterday morning in the car. Previously I had got rid of the temporary cook, who only arrived on Saturday - drunkard! Increasingly difficult to manage things at Comarques and do my work. Especially as Marguerite seems to find problems everywhere she looks. I think she forgets that there is a war on.

I had lunch at the Reform where I met Clutton-Brook. We had a good talk. I think he is the most educated person, except perhaps H.G., that I have yet met. I stayed in all afternoon reading Hueffer's "When Blood is Their Argument", which is not good.

Pinterest • The world’s catalog of ideasThen to the premiere of Barrie's revue "Rosie Rapture" which was good here and there, but conventional. Not very well received though tons of flowers for Gaby Deslys at the end. Apparently Barrie wrote it specially for Deslys who seems to me better noted for her physical charms than for her histrionic talents. I must admit she has rather shapely legs. Apparently she was making $4,000 a week in the U.S.A. before the war. Gordon Selfridge, who is known to be having an affaire with Deslys, was in a box with his family. Bit rich I thought. On entering the theatre I was greeted by cries in the pit of my name. I think this never before happened to me. I was rather put about but tried to appear nonchalant. Much difficulty in getting car after the show. Wet night.

Also met Vedrenne, Algar Thorold, Spencer and Charlton, editor of Sunday Pictorial, who said he was, and really seemed to be, very pleased with my article last week. He said that circulation of their second number was a million and a half. Probably an exaggeration, but I couldn't help feeling impressed. Good news for me in any case.

No comments:

Post a Comment