Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Sunday 17 March 2019

Time for a change

Thursday, March 17th., Royal York Hotel, Brighton.

Impossible to finish the second part of "Clayhanger". If I had finished it I should have spoilt it. I got up to within a few hundred words of 80,000 but the second part will exceed the advertised length by 5 or 6,000. Moreover I was frightened by a lot of the extraordinary praise of "The Old Wives' Tale" that I have recently had. For example from E.F. Spence, dramatic critic of the Westminster Gazette. I was afraid that "Clayhanger" was miles inferior to it, and that by going on blindly I might lose a chance of bucking it up in Switzerland ..... Neuralgia gradually getting better. 

Tomorrow we go to Paris via Newhaven. Our stay here on the whole has been a very great success. We have both enjoyed it. I have written over 100,000 words and Marguerite three short stories. But I doubt if the climate continues to suit us now that we are duly braced up. I have a feeling against it. Certainly I need less sleep. But smoking seems to affect me more and I have had neuralgia and headaches. Largely of course due to my book. I am inclined to think that the tension I have felt is because I have put so much of myself into the character of Edwin Clayhanger. As I write it is as if I am living Edwin's experiences. For example the scene between Edwin and Darius over money and marriage took a lot out of me. In fact most of the dramatic scenes have. I cannot be sufficiently objective to know if this is a good thing or not as far as the quality of the writing is concerned; I hope it will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment