Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Thursday 21 March 2019

Awfully art nouveau

Tuesday, March 21st., Rue de Calais, Paris.

Paris - Rue Marbeuf : Paris VIIIe arr. | Cartes Postales ...I went to see Docteur L. yesterday. He has a flat on the entresol in the Rue Marboeuf, en plein quartier chic.  The door was opened by a rather agreeable girl who politely picked up a pencil which I dropped. She showed me into a fairly spacious waiting-room horribly and characteristically furnished. A crimson plushy carpet all over the floor, a set of chairs and a sofa all in their housses; a modern Louis XVl table richly gilt and fairly well made, bearing old copies of L'Illustration and La Vie en Plein Air. A huge lamp standard in a corner; a piano with draped back; a column surmounted by a specimen of art nouveau statuary; to wit a withered tree, with a huge rock near it, the rock cut in the form of a face, as big as the tree - all in bronze. Two pairs of double doors heavily draped. Odd statuettes and signed photographs of men. I would have preferred to have spent the waiting time in company with the young woman but she did not re-appear. Her role in the establishment did not become clear.

The doctor surprised me by appearing through doors where I had not expected him. A man about 30, hair and beard sticking out, slightly stiff in manner but improving later. Beyond muttering the word "Vallee" he made no reference to the introduction which I had to him. He evidently sprang from the lower middle-class and was unable to rely on his manners. 

He took me into his consulting room, a room more frankly and awfully art nouveau than the waiting-room, but less distressing because it was all in one scheme and showed some sense of design. I soon found that he knew his business; but with that he proved to be somewhat vain and self-important. he wrote out his prescription at excessive length, and drew me the design of a canule. He couldn't help referring to that design twice afterwards, as it were fishing for praise of his ability to draw at all. However he was extremely practical. I should say he would be a brute in hospital and a brute with women. But in some ways I did not dislike him. He is an arriviste and quite young.

It was an odd consultation. I was somewhat embarrassed and pretty stiff myself. I must have seemed rather foolish to him, a stereotypical Englishman in Paris. I know that I can appear to be pompous and prickly; several friends have hinted as much. I find myself immediately on my guard with strangers, especially men of my own age, and engage in a pointless verbal fencing match which does me no favours at all. I am better with women. Or perhaps they are just more tolerant.

No comments:

Post a Comment