Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Tuesday 26 March 2019

Getting ready

Saturday, March 26th., Cadogan Square, London.

I don't think I will continue with "The Accident" until after my Greek cruise. I haven't got the ideas very clear yet for Part II, and there is no hurry. And I have heaps of other work to do. I might do two short stories beside all my articles by Good Friday. And I could return to the novel with a fresh mind on my return. I think it might make a radical difference to the end of the novel. I have speculated before that the context (psychological) in which one writes makes a difference to the 'tone' of the writing. This is now decided. 

I have been sleeping better lately. The other night I had 6 hours unbroken. Felt quite groggy when I woke up, but definitely beneficial. Last night was only fair, vitiated by over-smoking. However at the end I received from God, or somewhere, just over two and a half hours of unbroken sleep, and at 5.45 accordingly felt restored to health. So much so that before dressing I wrote a little opinion, at the request of the Sunday Express, about the pirating of Joyce's "Ulysses" by one Samuel Roth. Into this I contrived to insinuate the opinion that Joyce is a very important figure in the evolution of the novel.

Tomorrow I start for Greece, hoping for some warmth, some wine, and a complete change of scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment