Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Wednesday 20 March 2019

An anxious day

Sunday, March 20th., Cadogan Square, London.

The nurse for Dorothy's operation was here about 8 o'clock, and soon Dorothy's bedroom was transformed into an operating room.

I walked for about 40 minutes. Beautiful Spring-like day. Positive warmth in the sun. People noticeably more cheerful in consequence. Saw Dorothy when I got back and began to write my chapter at noon precisely. I wrote about 750 words. Saw Dorothy again and then at intervals I wrote more words. Nurse had been sitting in the drawing-room and elsewhere for a change.  When she returned to the bedroom I returned to my study, and finished my chapter and counted the words. I had written a complete chapter of 1,700 words and was fairly assuaged and content.

‘Elmer Gantry’ (1927) by Sinclair Lewis - Political theory ...Then I went and had my own dinner and drank some Burgundy, and read Sinclair Lewis's "Elmer Gantry", which is acutely alive and readable. Then I saw Dorothy again and came downstairs and had half of one of my new Partaga Cigars. I saw Dorothy again previous to her being arranged for the night. I came back to my study and finished my cigar and read more of "Elmer Gantry". Finally I got to bed by 11 p.m. but with the expectancy of a disturbed night. I didn't spend one penny of petty cash all day. It was a satisfactory day considering all the circumstances, and I had done a day's work sufficient for even an absolutely free day.

I was indisputably on edge because of the operation but wouldn't admit it to myself until I got to bed. How strange the mind is and how little control we have over it even when we pride ourselves on self-discipline. My sense is that we are essentially emotional animals who have evolved large brains where rational thought takes place; but under stress our more primitive nature comes to the fore and ideas enter consciousness which would be abhorrent ordinarily. For example I found myself thinking yesterday afternoon, in a sort of semi-waking state after my nap, that if Dorothy were to die as a result of the operation how my life would be transformed, and the thought gave me pleasure. No use denying it!

No comments:

Post a Comment