Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Sunday 24 March 2019

Simple and perfect joy

Wednesday, March 24th., Villa des Nefliers.

Arrival of four books today ordered from the Mercure de France, nicely bound. Astonishing how much simple and perfect joy can be bought for 15 fr. 60 c.! The anticipatory pleasure of unwrapping the parcel is almost worth that. And then to caress and smell the books ... I don't buy half enough books! Marguerite asked me today, playfully, how I would choose if the choice was between her and new books. I gave her the answer she wanted of course. The real answer I kept to myself.

My "Books and Persons" articles are just starting in the New Age. I am using the pseudonym Jacob Tonson. "Buried Alive" is to be published soon. I have struck into a golden vein of productivity.

Fine walks in the forest. Sunshine. Warmth. Cutting new books. A good patch of "The Old Wives' Tale". Disgust at the opposition lying in the Peckham election. Great fun in reading the account of the 200 million franc krach by a financial swindler in all the papers today. Another slice of my article on London stage. Embroidery design for Marguerite. Thus my day.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment