Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Saturday 16 March 2019

Forming impressions

Wednesday, March 16th., Rue de Calais, Paris.

I meant to go and see "L'Etrangere" at the Francais on Monday night but was too unwell - a mysterious lassitude. So I bought "La Petite Roque" od de Maupassant instead, and came home. yesterday I bought Taine's "Graindorge". This book brought to a head the ideas I have had for writing 'impressions' of Paris. I find I must write something. I can't lie quite fallow. Moreover I have now been in Paris exactly a year, and my ideas are becoming defined.

So this morning I started a book of impressions with an account of, and reflections upon, the opening of the Concerts-Berlioz which I went to last night. It is probable that this book, if I continue with it, will reduce my journal to a naked record. I am worried with an idea for placing the impressions serially in various newspapers. Many things seem to worry me in a general way at the moment. Not enough to lose sleep, but a sort of background 'noise' to my daily activity. I am inclined to think that I am working too little, and spending too much time alone. I will need to make a concerted effort to get on with things.

No comments:

Post a Comment