Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Monday 18 March 2019

At Oundle

Monday, March 18th., Yacht Club, London.

Dockerblog: Sanderson of Oundle, my hero!
F W Sanderson
On Saturday we went to Oundle to stay with the Sandersons for the weekend and I greatly enjoyed it - especially Sanderson's company. He is a great modernist with a fruity sense of humour and much personal power. Food excellent, Mrs. Sanderson being a maitresse femme. On Saturday night we attended a school debate on the subject: "Is enough as good as a feast?" Not brilliant but one or two boys had a pretty turn for sarcasm.

On Sunday, the first morning Church of England service I ever (I think) attended in my life. I can see that I haven't missed much. I was frank with Sanderson about my lack of religious conviction but he persuaded me to go just as a matter of 'good form'. My strong suspicion is that Sanderson has no strong Christian belief himself but considers the moral discipline of religion important. We didn't have time, and don't know each other well enough, to discuss the validity of this position. He is a scientist by training so takes nothing as read. 

In the afternoon two masters gave us the Kreutzer Sonata - just that. The piano part was played by Brewster, the mathematical master, very well. Applause not allowed. Then Sanderson and I and Chadwick  (apparently running the library etc.) went to the library and art rooms, and I aroused Sanderson's sympathy by inveighing against there being reproductions of only old masters on view. He knows nothing about painting, but he was at once very anxious for me to send him a list of very modern painters. I objected also to the prominence given on the walls to mere large photos of cathedrals Chadwick agreed. This will be altered. I looked at my watch. 8.10 ! "I shall catch it", said Sanderson. He hurried off to the waiting supper. I Ilke Sanderson very much indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment