Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Wednesday 21 November 2018

A great success

Sunday, November 21st., George Street, London.

Dress rehearsals of "Milestones" on Thursday and Friday. They were a great success, in fact very great - except the song-singing which was rotten. I took a rug and a hot-water bottle with me but the theatre was warmed so not needed. St. John Ervine was there for the Observer, and sat next to me. There is no doubt that he was profoundly impressed. Of course he remembers it from the first incarnation, but he vouchsafed that he considered it as pertinent to 1920 as it had been to 1912. The first performance was last night. I took Bertie Sullivan and Legros. Much real enthusiasm. But by last night I had got tired of the play and went home gloomy. Gloominess seems to be my regular state at the moment.

Marguerite is away in Scotland at the moment on a recitals tour. Apparently her 'focus' is on Baudelaire. I should think this may be the first time that Baudelaire has been heard in Scotland. Of course I have been encouraging her in her declamatory efforts, and indeed she has some ability, but I honestly doubt enough to stimulate a paying audience. We shall see. She has some idea of a tour to America, but I doubt it will survive Scotland.

I introduced Legros to English clubs yesterday and he was immensely struck. "Quelle la vie charmante!" he said at the Garrick, where all the members chaff each other.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment