Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Thursday 22 November 2018

A recovery

Saturday, November 22nd., Cadogan Square, London.

3_20 London Old Photos - Old Knightsbridge photographs in ...Depression, because I saw no prospect of finishing “Dance Club” play today or tomorrow, as I had hoped. I gave up all notion of finishing and couldn’t think of any of the ideas necessary for the final scene between Flora and Clair. When I got home from the Empire I was, as a consequence of neuralgia pains, a bit sick. This sickness at once relieved the pain. Instantly I felt better and instantly the hope of finishing the play miraculously returned, and ideas for the last scene came into my head and I became actively creative again. I have noticed this before: return of creativeness immediately upon surcease from pain. I felt well enough to go out for a night walk, turning the ideas over in my mind. Lovely evening for that: cold, rather misty, but still, quiet, a halo around the street lights, echoing footsteps, visible breath, exhilarating!


I have sometimes wondered if there is any sort of link between creativity and physical or mental problems; does the need to overcome difficulties enhance the artistic temperament? It is easy to point to artists who have succeeded against the odds but of course the sample is skewed - by the nature of things those artists for whom life is simple and free from problems will not attract the same attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment