Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Wednesday 28 November 2018

Doing one's duty

Monday, November 28th., Cadogan Square, London.

Doran, Jules Godby, Ellery Sedgwick and daughter Henrietta, Humbert Wolfe and Mrs. Belloc Lowndes came to tea, and baby. Baby and gramophone do nothing whatever to promote high-brow conversation. 

78 toeren: curiosa wereld jazz: Prince of Wales Edward, 11 ...I dined at the Piccadilly Hotel restaurant with Harry Preston, to meet the Prince of Wales. Very affable. Normally I would go out of my way to avoid any contact with 'royalty' as I regard the institution as an anachronism. I was simply humouring Harry who is an old-fashioned monarchist, and would be deeply wounded (and offended) if I told him my views. I got away with a bare minimum of obsequious behaviour, the merest hint of a bow. To be honest I felt rather sorry for the man who must have been putting on a show since he was first displayed in public. As a public person myself I have some idea of the strain involved. There must be times when he wishes to just throw it all over.

No comments:

Post a Comment