Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Friday 16 November 2018

Thinking about things

Thursday, November 16th., Fulham Park Gardens, London.

Today is published my third book, "Polite Farces". (Lamley & Co. 2/6 net.). And tonight, by coincidence, I made the first real start of the final writing of "Anna Tellwright". I worked from 5 to 12 p.m. and wrote 1,000 words, first-rate stuff.

I was out strolling this morning. There are really three 'types' of strolling as far as I am concerned: concentration on getting ideas; paying close attention to surroundings, people and places, a sort of 'here and now' experience; just drifting, a sort of semi-dream state. That's what I was doing this morning and I think it cleared my head so as to work better this afternoon and evening.

I have noticed lately, and again this morning, that I discover a tune going on in my head. Sometimes I can trace its origin back to something I have heard, but often it appears as if unconsciously. It is distinctly 'heard'. Occasionally it is annoying, but not often. As soon as I concentrate on something it disappears so I conclude that it is my brain somehow filling a vacuum caused by an absence of sensation. This idea led me to reflect on mental imagery. I have little or no visual imagery which discussion with others leads me to think is unusual. My thinking is decidedly aural. I wonder then if others 'think' as I do, or maybe there are people who think entirely visually. I can't imagine what that would be like. And instead of hearing tunes in the mind they may see images, or even have olfactory experience. Who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment