Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Wednesday 7 November 2018

Two novels

Tuesday, November 7th., Rue de Calais, Paris.

The art of ruining a friendship: Zola, Cézanne and L’Œuvre ...I have just finished reading "L'Oeuvre". It has taken me a long time because I left it in the middle to read Wells's "Kipps". What a colossal affair it seems by the side of "Kipps"! So serious, tremendous, and imposing. The middle parts seem rather carelessly done; the detail piled up without sufficient attention to the form. But the final scene between Claude and Christine - the fight between love and art - is simply magnificent; it moved me; it is one of the finest things in Zola. It is overdone, it goes farther than the truth; but purposely; Zola has stepped into the heroic in this scene, as he does now and then. All the close of the book is most affecting.

Kipps First Edition by H. G. Wells | Rare and Antique BooksAs regards "Kipps", I am writing to Wells with my thoughts. The only real sizeable fault I can find is the engagement of Helen, which entirely failed to convince me. In fact it is useless to tell me they ever were engaged. I do not believe it! Helen is a real and lifelike figure, but Ann is more so, and the Ann scenes are the best in the book. After agreeing with myself that I read the book through with eagerness and joy, and after telling myself that I must not expect in Wells's 'human interest' novels those aspects of life which he disdains to see, I find myself asking what this book proves, and not getting any answer. Perhaps no question was intended? I think I must point out to Wells that I am deeply offended by his beginning a sentence: "Next to starting a haberdasher's shop ...." I hope he will take it in good part as I hope to avail myself of their hospitality when I am next in England!

No comments:

Post a Comment