Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Monday 26 November 2018

Raining

Tuesday, November 26th., Les Sablons.

transpress nz: Fontainebleau electric trams, FranceYesterday I walked to Fontainebleau in the pouring rain, and walked in and about the town for over two hours with a house agent looking at possible houses. I saw one small one surrounded by a walled garden that might suit. Distinct pleasure in examining these houses. I fell immediately in love with the one I liked, and at once, in my mind, arranged it as it ought to be. Perhaps a little arrogant to make a bald statement like that but it is how I feel. I have a very strong belief in myself and always tend to think that my way of doing things is the best. It causes problems sometimes between Marguerite and myself as she also is quite strong willed, but not as strong as me!

77 FONTAINEBLEAU. Grande Rue Statue Carnot Restaurant du CygneI lunched at the Cygne, had coffee at a cafe, and walked all the way home - and it never stopped raining! Then after tea I wrote 1,300 words of the "The Old Wives' Tale". This morning while the whole place was being upset with preparations for our departure, I wrote 2 to 300 words more of the novel, and this afternoon I packed my trunk and arranged my papers. That I should have worked so easily at my novel in all this mess shows how it has got hold of me, or I of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment