Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Tuesday 6 November 2018

Old-world charm

Saturday, November 6th., Villa des Nefliers.

I received copies today of the U.S.A. edition of "The Glimpse". Horrible binding. In glancing through it I noticed several misprints. The American spelling of course one accepts, though I have noticed that American novels published in England retain their spelling. Why is this?

I had a superb walk in the forest. This has been a marvellous autumn but must now be coming to an end. I fear we will have a sharp frost and/or a high wind and the trees will be left bare. Before long it will be difficult to recall that they ever were clothed.

At 9.30 I began, very unwillingly, the last day on my second act. I was rather pleased with it at lunchtime. After repose I threw my painting over  and finished the act. What a relief! I then fiddled about with tea and Max Beerbohm and the proces Steinheil until 4, when I was obliged by my conscience to go to the barbers. I am always loathe to get my hair cut and yet invariably glad when it is done. I don't seem to learn from the experience.

Happily it is a stately barbers where hair cutting and friction are treated with adequate solemnity. In the half-light, with its mirrors and rococo woodwork and complicated apparatus, it had 'due style' tradition behind it. A little framed notice was hung up as always on hunt days."Rendezvous de chasse. Croix de Toulouse" All this kind of thing will belong to a past generation probably before I am dead. I shall recount it as something antique, quaint and scarcely conceivable. The entire atmosphere was old-world. I have often noticed how elderly people delight in detailing how different (usually better) the world was when they were young. I haven't reached that stage yet, but I sense it in the offing!

I came home when there was star in a field of blue-green above pink, above purple-grey that mingled with the smoke and roofs of the houses. A simplified tableau seen from the lower corner of the Rue Bernard Palissy. Then I came in and read my dose of Taine.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment