Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Saturday 24 November 2018

A dinner party

Wedesday, November 24th., 12b George Street, London.

At work on film all morning. Lunched with Pinker and Swinnerton at Reform, and then I got information from Shufflebotham about nursing home for my film.

Barrie, Elgar, Massingham, Hy. Head and Sassoon to dinner, and Rivers came afterwards. Massingham had forgotten the date, had to be rung up and arrived forty five minutes late. Effects of the drinking of course. I don't think I have ever seen such a rapid decline in a man. He held up well enough but was by no means the witty dinner guest of old. 

Large quantities of interesting things were said at this dinner. None of them by me. Some of the fellows stopped until 12.25. I smoked too much. But I have survived it all right. Barrie said he never went out at all except to dine with me once a year. Elgar is fine, though in fact they all were.  



 

No comments:

Post a Comment