Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Friday 23 November 2018

Horrible sins

Thursday, November 23rd., Royal Yacht Club, London.

Postcards of the Past - Vintage Postcards of London TheatresIn the afternoon, after some work, I found I had a chill on the stomach. 
I was told by my doctor years ago that I would always have digestive problems and he has been proved correct. Nevertheless I went with precautions to the Aldwych Theatre and got the last remaining circle seat for the first performance of "Aida". Theatre full. Goodish performance but offensive scenery that tried to be original but was only imitative and ridiculous. I take the view that scenery is simply a backdrop, and should not distract from the performance. Surely people come to theatre to see the players not their painted background? However my view seems not to be held universally. Oh! Russian ballet, what horrible sins you have caused. 

No comments:

Post a Comment