Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Sunday 11 November 2018

Finishing things

Friday, November 11th., Villa des Nefliers.

Still unwell all week. Can't quite say what is wrong with me. Occasional light-headedness, unsettled stomach, urinary frequency. All minor symptoms, but contributing to my lack of well-being. Nevertheless I finished "The Great Adventure" this afternoon at 4.30 p.m., four days in advance of time. Actual dialogue 20,300 words. I shall doubtless cut it to less than 20,000. There are now two complete plays of mine - this and "The Honeymoon", renounced by Trench - for sale. 

At last completed and posted a letter to a cousin of mine who lives on the Isle of Man. We are occasional rather than regular correspondents. It was one of those letters which one never quite 'gets around to'. But today I exercised self-discipline, wrote, and enjoyed the writing. As well as family news, I told her of a plan I have for some creative biography; a relationship which might have happened, but didn't. A sort of 'what if'. Just for fun!

The two American reviews of "Clayhanger" to which I looked forward with the most interest (Boston Evening Transcript and Chicago Evening Post) are both absolutely satisfactory in their enthusiasm. Doran wrote me, in response to my query, that he had sold about 12,000 of "Old Wives' Tale" to date, and that the demand seemed likely to continue. I must say that it is something of a mystery to me why my books are so popular in America. The Five Towns must seem a very alien and outmoded place to modern Americans. Perhaps it is the contrast or perhaps, as I would like to think, I have touched upon some universals in Human nature which appeal to any thinking person.

No comments:

Post a Comment