Welcome to our blog!


It's better than a bat in the eye with a burnt stick!


This blog makes liberal use of AB's journals, letters, travel notes, and other sources.


And make sure to visit The Arnold Bennett Society for expert information and comment on all aspects of the life and work of AB.

Sunday 4 November 2018

A sorry state

Sunday, November 5th., Cadogan Square, London.

Well, I am making progress with "Imperial Palace" but is it good enough? I have rarely been able to estimate the quality of my writing whilst writing so all I can do is soldier on. The operation and management of a luxury hotel is fascinating for me, but will it interest a general reading public? And is Evelyn Orcham a believable character? I have met people who illustrate the various aspects of his personality, but not all in one person; could there be such a person? I liked the scene at Smithfield Market, and there are some effective peripheral characters. I do have these crises of conscience. Just get on with it!

Charles Masterman
Charles Masterman is in a sorry state. What a decline there has been since the war ended, and it is to be accounted for by serious abuse of alcohol and prescription drugs. Whilst I feel sorry for him I feel more so for his wife and children who must dread a complete fall into poverty. 

I took Charlie out for a drive this afternoon. He told me:
He has only £200 in the world;
His memory is gone. He cannot even read, much less write;
His father was insane and he himself is going mad;
He cannot sleep;
His wife is worn out; 
Bottomley is bringing a libel action against him which he cannot defend. He will have to go bankrupt. He will be morally ruined as well. No newspaper will ever buy another article of his;
He and his family will starve.

It was no use trying to comfort him as like all people in his case he loves his despair more than anything. He would not admit that physically he was better, but I think he is a bit better. Anyhow he has lost 3 stone.
I told him that I would give him money and would not let his family starve. I shall try to enlist the support of some mutual acquaintances on their behalf.

No comments:

Post a Comment